Casual Physical TherapistApply
Unit/Department Specific (if applicable)
System-wide Hospital(s) and Outpatient Clinics: Customers include those with disabilities due to birth defects, trauma, illness, aging. Customer ages may include infants, pediatrics, adolescents, adults, and geriatrics. Completes required documentation including treatment authorizations, evaluations, daily/weekly notes, flow sheets, IRF-PAI elements and discharge summaries meeting organizational policies.
• Performs financial screening of patients, using applicable tools and problem-solving skills thru use of obtaining insurance authorization for therapy outpatient services.
• Communicates North Memorial’s financial policy to the patient and/or patient’s family representative regarding the specific level of insurance benefit coverage and estimated patient liability.
• Assists patients/guarantors who have questions/concerns regarding their therapy accounts.
• Works collaboratively with other disciplines (billing, coding, patient accounting, therapies) in assessing the financial needs of the patient and other possible resources for payment.
• Provides cost estimates to prospective and current patients.
• Maintains advanced working knowledge and understanding of insurance eligibility and benefits to determine principle payers and coordination of benefits for all insurance products.
• Responsible for assigned WQ’s.
• Works with department management to identify training and process improvement opportunities.
• Possesses ability to explain and handle patient therapy billing complaints with proper resolution.
• Understand outpatient documentation guidelines, requirements and policies for all disciplines.
• Understand medical policy coverage criteria for rehabilitation services for all payers.
• Educate therapy team members on insurance guidelines and changes and documentation standards.
• Understand Medicare guidelines, Medicare fee schedule, Medicare thresholds and Advance Beneficiary notices.
• Understand Current Procedural terminology (CPT) for rehabilitation services.
• Track Medicare therapy patient claims, and collaborate with team members to develop a plan when an Advance Beneficiary Notice may be required.
• Complete medical necessity chart reviews for all disciplines monthly and provide feedback to team members of process improvements.
• Interprets/reviews physician orders and obtains authorization for treatment.
• Evaluates customers at appropriate intervals.
• Designs, implements and revises treatment programs to meet customer needs in the context of the customer's age, growth and developmental status and current life situation.
• Completes required documentation which meets customer care needs as well as regulatory requirements.
• Documents other information per department policy and procedure.
• Involves the customer in the goal planning process, identifying outcomes relevant to the customer’s life situation.
• Educates the customer and other team members regarding their role in the care plan.
• Collaborates and communicates verbally with other caregivers and involved parties.
• Delegates appropriate portions of customer treatment programs to physical therapist assistants and support personnel and provides necessary clinical direction.
• Follows appropriate indications and contraindications, Infection Control policies and Safety procedures.
• Educates the customer/significant other regarding their role in the care plan.
• Develops customer/significant other and collegial relationships that are positive, respectful, non-judgmental and non-discriminatory.
• Follows charge and payer requirements per department procedure, obtains and/or verifies authorization for treatment from MD and/or payer.
• Uses resources available to improve customer care.
• Accepts other duties as assigned to promote the accomplishment of organizational goals.
• The team member is accountable to demonstrate proficiency for the skills outlined in the appropriate position skills list.
• The team member is accountable to maintain skill proficiency, including improvement where deemed necessary, and upgrading any additional or new skills on the appropriate position skills list.
• Baccalaureate, Master's, or Doctor of Physical Therapy Degree from an APTA Accredited School of Physical Therapy.
• Master’s or Doctoral Degree in Physical Therapy required for all candidates hired after June 1, 2014.
• Previous work experience in acute care Physical Therapy preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrated verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
• Computer proficiency (e.g. keyboarding, Microsoft Office) required.
• Must possess current class D driver’s license in state of residency with an acceptable driving record if driving to alternate locations
• Must provide annual proof of insurance per hospital policy if driving to alternate locations
• Current BLS certification or completion of certification during orientation period
At North Memorial Health, we’re on a mission to change healthcare. We’re delivering unmatched customer service and empowering our customers throughout Minnesota and Western Wisconsin to achieve their best health. North Memorial Health is a leader in delivering advanced medical care from Emergency, Urgent Care, Specialty Programs and Services, Primary Clinics, Ambulance and Air Medical Transportation.