Why North Memorial Health?
At North Memorial Health you will be a valuable member of our inclusive and nurturing team that values professional growth, offering big benefits like tuition reimbursement and a supportive culture with a world of education and training opportunities.
Our health system encompasses two hospital locations in Robbinsdale and Maple Grove as well as a network of 25 clinics which includes 13 primary clinics, 6 specialty clinics, 4 urgent care/urgency centers and emergency care offerings covering five counties. Our Robbinsdale Hospital, established in 1954, is a 385-bed facility recognized as the top Level 1 Trauma center for 25 years, as well as serving as a Level II pediatric trauma center, and Level III NICU. Our Maple Grove Hospital was established in 2009, is a 134-bed facility recognized as a top hospital in the state for Women and Children Care, with a Level III NICU, and is the largest Family Birth Center in the state (~5,000 deliveries per year and over 60,000 babies delivered). Both have been named to the 2022 Fortune/Merative 100 Top Hospitals® list, 2023 Women’s Choice Award Best Hospitals list.
Benefits the North Way!
As North Memorial Health is a non-profit organization you are eligible for the Public Student Loan Forgiveness program. Most part-time and all full-time positions are eligible for benefits.
- Adoption Reimbursement up to $3000 per child!
- Child Care Discount Program with New Horizon 10% off weekly childcare tuition!
- Education/Tuition Reimbursement
- 24/7 Fitness Center Access for all benefit eligible team members!
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At North Memorial Health we recognize that the strength of our team lies in our diversity and make every effort to embrace the unique contributions and experiences of each person on our team. We strive to ensure that everyone feels like they are a valuable part of our community, with initiatives that reinforce our belief in diversity, equity, and inclusivity, to promote a workforce that enables authenticity, as we want to be our best when providing effective services to our patients. We acknowledge and celebrate the unique traditions, backgrounds, languages, beliefs, and customs of our community, and want everyone to feel welcome. Through our DE&I initiatives we hope to dispel myths, assumptions, and acts of implicit bias. Some of these initiatives include:
- Addressing system racism and inequities through our Safer Work Environment (Safer) initiative
- Use of pronoun badges and preferred names
- Encouraging cultural awareness through education and training
About this position
The Health Unit Coordinator (HUC) is assigned to help in coordinating an efficient customer care unit by providing prompt, accurate and courteous processing of information. Performs reception and clerical activities and works to maintain unit workflow for staff, physicians, customers and families. Participates in the execution of Patient Safety goals including customer privacy, accuracy of customer identification, improving the effectiveness of communication among caregivers, and responding to customer alarms by alerting appropriate staff.
• High school graduate or GED required.
• Completion of a Health Unit Coordinator Program or Medical Secretary Program preferred.
• Minimum of two years of experience as a Health Unit Coordinator, Medical Secretary, or related role in a hospital setting required. Recent education (HUC, Medical Secretary Program, or similar) will be considered in place of experience.
• Detail oriented.
• Excellent time management skills. Ability to prioritize and organize tasks in a fast-paced environment and handle high-stress situations.
• Basic knowledge of medical terminology.
• Ability to collect data and write reports and correspondence. Legible handwriting required.
• Strong customer service skills and ability to deal with stakeholders with respect and in a courteous and positive manner.
• Strong keyboarding skills. Skill in use of computer applications to include the Microsoft Office applications: Word and Outlook; and Electronic Health Record (EPIC preferred) is required.
• Strong communication and telephone skills.
• Ability to establish effective relationships with health care team members.
• Proficiency with written and spoken English language sufficient to perform the essential functions of the position.
The North Memorial Health System is dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role, but your past experience doesn’t perfectly align with every qualification listed, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may still be the right candidate for this or other roles.
Work Group: Non Contract
Hours per two week pay period: 60
Shift: Days 12 hours
Weekend Requirement: Every 3rd Weekend
Call Requirement: None
Remote or On-site: On-site
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt