About North Memorial Health
At North Memorial Health, you're part of an inclusive health family that is rooted in our values of relationships, inventiveness, and accountability. Empathy and care are at the heart of North's culture which is designed to actively support each team member's wellbeing and growth. Our strength lies in our diversity, and we embrace the unique contributions and experiences of each person. Together, we empower customers to achieve their best health.
About this position
Provides Hmong language services for non-English speaking clients to assure understanding between medical and hospital team members, customers or customers' families during hospital stays or clinic visits.
What we’ll expect from you
• Provides accurate verbal and written interpretation/translation services for customers, family members, team members and others.
• Shares relevant cultural information with all parties involved and assists all speakers in reaching a mutual understanding.
• Provides non-complex documentation translation services from English to a non-English language and vice versa as needed.
• Assists in the preparation of correspondence, policies/practice, case documentation, statistic forms, billing, communication materials, etc as needed.
• Schedules external interpreter services as needed.
• Accepts other duties as assigned to promote the accomplishment of organizational goals.
• The team member is accountable to demonstrate proficiency for the skills outlined in the appropriate position skills list.
• The team member is accountable to maintain skill proficiency, including improvement where deemed necessary, and upgrading any additional or new skills on the appropriate position skills list.
• Recognizes and complies with legal regulatory, accrediting and procedural requirements related to area of responsibility.
• Understands and follows principles and standards as outlined in North Memorial’s Corporate Code of Conduct.
• Protects customer and team member privacy and only accesses customer and/or team member related information as needed to perform job duties.
• Reports violations or areas of concern to supervisor or Corporate Compliance Officer via established methods of communication.
Interested? Here are our requirements
• High School diploma or GED. Some general college preferred.
• Completion of formal medical interpreter training program of at least 40 hours.
• Must complete the assessment on verbal proficiency at the Advanced mid-level in both English and any other languages that the interpreter will be interpreting by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Two (2) years interpreting experience, with1 year medical preferred. Five (5) years interpreting experience may substitute for above education requirement.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• High-level proficiency in reading, writing and speaking English and the target language(s).
• Combination of academic training in diverse fields and experience in medical terminology in both the target and source languages.
• Knowledge of the National Coalition of Interpreters in Health Care (NCIHC) interpreter code of ethics and standards of practice.
• Knowledge of specialized terms and concepts used frequently in the provision of services.
• Cultural awareness and competency.
• Ability to work evenings/nights/weekends as necessary
Requires National Certification ( CMI, CHI, or CoreCHI), if not must obtain within 12 months of hire
Licensure/Certification(s) Mandatory where Applicable
Hours per two week pay period: 0
Shift: Day/Evening 4 & 8 hours
Weekend Requirement: Every Weekend
Work Group: Non Contract
Call Requirement: Occasional Call
Remote or On-site: On-site
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt