About this position
The Therapies Center at North Memorial Health Hospital is seeking an Occupational Therapist with training and experience commensurate to providing care within the Inpatient Behavioral Health Unit. This team member evaluates the cognitive, emotional, and psychosocial needs of a customer, establishes a care plan, and provides or directs the individualized care of a customer within the Occupational Therapy scope of practice. This position is focused on the needs of customers with behavioral or mental health diagnoses. The Occupational Therapist in this position also serves to educate the customer, their caregivers, and/or family about their role in the care plan. The Occupational Therapist functions as a part of the North Memorial Health interdisciplinary care team, collaborating as needed with other clinical and non-clinical team members in order to provide unmatched customer experiences.
What we’ll expect from you
• Maintains licensure to provide Occupational Therapy care and remains current with community standards and evidence based tools and knowledge.
• Reviews queued or assigned evaluation and care orders for customer need and appropriate scope of practice, including chart review and discussion with other care team members as needed.
• Completes and documents an evaluation of customer needs and discusses findings with the customer, caregivers, family and/or other care team members as appropriate, utilizing appropriate standardized tools and practices.
• Develops, documents and implements a care plan within the Occupational Therapist scope of practice, and delegates care to other clinical and non-clinical team members as appropriate.
• Provides education and training to the customer, community caregivers and/or family members in order to maximize outcomes and reduce the need for further care.
• Provides a clear plan for discharge from Therapies care and collaborates with other interdisciplinary team members in order to transition customers to the next level of appropriate care.
• Documents therapy outcomes and promotes cost effective, value based care that exemplifies unmatched customer service.
• Recognizes customer needs beyond the evaluating therapist’s scope of practice and makes recommendations for appropriate referrals to other Therapies Center and interdisciplinary care.
• May participate in on call or other coverage arrangements based on defined practices and the team members' advanced skill set.
• Reports concerns or opportunities for improvement of individual customer care and/or Therapies Center operations as appropriate.
• Recognizes and promotes organizational and Therapies Center Differentiation, Quality and Operational Excellence objectives.
• Fosters and participates in a culture of equity and inclusion.
• Participates in regularly scheduled or ad hoc Therapies Center team or individual meetings, training opportunities or improvement projects.
• Participates in regular or ad hoc work groups as assigned by Therapies Center leadership.
Interested? Here are our requirements
• Baccalaureate or Master's degree from an accredited school of Occupational Therapy. Doctorate preferred
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
A minimum of hospital-based or outpatient care for customers with behavioral or mental health diagnoses during training, fieldwork, or fellowship for new graduates. One to two years experience is preferred.
Advanced skills and experience with providing services to those with mental illness or behavioral health concerns is desirable. Those with knowledge and experience with sensory modulation interventions are encouraged to apply. Additional certifications beyond licensure are considered on an individual basis.
• Licensed to practice in the State of MN - State Requirement
• Current NBCOT certification or certification eligible
- NMHC Standard
• Current CPR certification or completion of certification during orientation period
• Must possess current class D driver's license in state of residency with an acceptable driving record if driving to alternate locations
- NMHC Standard
• Must provide annual proof of insurance per hospital policy if driving to alternate locations
- NMHC Standard
Hours per two week pay period: 64
Shift: Days 8 hours
Weekend Requirement: Weekends by Department Rotation
Work Group: Non Contract
Call Requirement: None