About this position
Provides basic life support care to the sick and injured and safely transports customers of all ages to a medical facility for additional care. In addition the EMT assists the paramedic in providing advanced level care within their scope of practice and training as directed by their Paramedic or RN Partner.
What we’ll expect from you
• Provides compassionate basic life support care to customers of all ages at the scene and in the ambulance.
• Coordinates customer care with partner and other responders providing care.
• Inspires compassionate care by treating our customers, families, staff and others with courtesy, kindness and respect.
• Communicates customer outcomes verbally with accurate concise radio reports to the accepting hospital and to hospital staff accepting customer.
• Completes accurate written customer care record that is legible at completion of customer transport and enters customer care record into electronic record system.
• Performs operational duties to ensure worthiness and cleanliness of ambulance and equipment.
• Operates ambulance in a safe manner, obeys traffic laws and North Memorial Ambulance policy pertaining to safe driving and utilizes optimal safety precautions in all other aspects of this position.
• Takes an active role in professional development.
• Operates vehicles safely and in accordance with State law and department policies.
• Maintains minimum safety levels established by the department.
• Successfully completes all Medical Transportation Department driver's training classroom and behind-the-wheel sessions.
• Treats customers and others at the scene in a courteous and professional manner at all times.
• Complies with FCC/NMMC protocols pertaining to radio and specific channel use. Transmits clear and concise information to the dispatcher and related health care facilities.
• Ensures proper stocking and vehicle maintenance
• Checks equipment and supplies in the vehicle
• Assures adequate supply stock and cleanliness of equipment and vehicle.
• Vehicle equipment checklist and failsafe data record are used / completed per established policies and procedures.
• Reports any vehicle damage or needed repairs.
• Stocks / restocks equipment and supplies used and reports deficiencies.
• Cleans equipment and vehicle thoroughly.
• May only perform the following 4 job functions on an ALS ambulance and the EMT must be trained and approved to complete the following:
• Obtains blood draw sample when indicated by standard operating procedures.
• May attach EKG monitor / defibrillator to customer and perform manual hands-off defibrillation under direction of paramedic.
• May prepare / administer various medications under direct supervisor / observation of paramedic.
• May determine blood glucose levels under direction of paramedic using chemstrip / glucometer method.
• Accepts other duties as assigned to promote the accomplishment of organizational goals.
• The team member is accountable to demonstrate proficiency for the skills outlined in the appropriate position skills list.
• The team member is accountable to maintain skill proficiency, including improvement where deemed necessary, and upgrading any additional or new skills on the appropriate position skills list.
Interested? Here are our requirements
• High school diploma or equivalent (GED) required
• Successfully completed an EMT training program from an accredited institution required
• Must successfully complete IV and medication variance training through North Memorial Ambulance
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Previous ambulance experience preferred
• Demonstrated ability to organize, problem solve, make decisions during emergency situations and work independently.
• Possess or quickly acquire knowledge of the street and highway system within the service area.
• Current Minnesota or Wisconsin EMT Certification or be able to obtain within 60 days of hire date.
- State Requirement
• BLS Certification- State Requirement
• Valid Class D Driver's license in the state of residency with an acceptable driving record.
- State Requirement
Hours per two week pay period: 48
Shift: Day/Night 12 hours
Weekend Requirement: Every Other Weekend
Work Group: Non Contract
Call Requirement: Off Premise Call